Sinus headache is one of the common ailments. You must have experienced sinus headache at one point of your life. It can be very annoying that can greatly affects your daily routine and activities. It can also be distracting especially a sinus headache that goes with a heavy head, stuffy nose, cough and colds.
If you have been suffering from sinus headache, read on. This article will equip you with the right information all about sinuses, sinus headache and different kinds of sinus headache relief. It is very crucial to know first pertinent details about an ailment because it will help you get the right sinus headache relief. If you are fully aware and you understand already a certain ailment, you will be able to prevent health complications. Remember, there are times that you confuse sinus headache with migraine. In result, you will get the wrong treatment that can lead to serious health complications.
What are Sinuses
Sinuses are located at the back of the bones of the face and skull that are linked to the nasal passages through channels called osteomeatal complex. These small tubes allow air to flow freely from your nose in the sinuses. It will permit as well the drainage of the mucus from all the sinuses in your nose.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Sinus Headache
Here are the common signs and symptoms of sinus headache that you need to observe. Take note that not all of these need to be present in order to say that you are suffering from sinus headache.
- Sore throat
- Cough and colds
- Stuffy nose
- Decreasing sense of taste and smell
What are the Different Kinds of Sinus Headache Relief
In dealing with sinus headache, you have different options. There are home or natural remedies and medications in order to achieve sinus headache relief.
Below is a list of home and natural remedies for sinus headache relief that you can try if you do not want to experience different side effects from prescribed medicines.
- The number one on the list of the most effective and fast sinus headache relief is sinus drainage. You will feel heaviness and as if someone is pounding your head that can intensify your sinus headache. In order to avoid experiencing this, you need to get rid of the mucus formation and free your sinuses. The best option to do is have a steam therapy. Steam inhalation can help dissolve the development of mucus in your sinuses. You need to inhale the steam for a couple of minutes to free your sinuses. In result, you will be relieved from headache because of sinusitis.
- Another best condition to treat your sinus headache is a hot and cold compress. You just need to put the hot compress on your forehead. After 10 minutes, change the hot compress with cold compress. Let is stay for three minutes. This simple method will help drain your mucus, open the sinuses and ease your sinus headache.
- Suffering frequently from sinus headache means you need improvements on your daily meal plan. This is to help you from alleviating sinus headache permanently. You have to take note of the foods that you need to avoid that intensify the production of mucus. You need to keep this in mind especially if you have been suffering from sinus problems for a year already or if it is recurring.
- Consume tons of food products with high level of vitamin C content. This vitamin is known to boost your immune system and improving its function. Once you have established a tough immune system, you can fight all kinds of infections such as sinus infection.
- Not everyone knows that spicy foods are ideal sinus headache relief. Spicy foods can greatly help increase the level of your secretions. In result, it prevents clogging of your sinuses and it makes mucus flowing. It will make you comfortable since there is no pressure to your sinuses due to the development of mucus.
- Drink plenty of fluids especially water. Hot soups and herbal teas are also ideal to consume with your meals or upon waking up or before going to sleep. Try peppermint tea or ginger tea. You need to be hydrated in order to keep the mucus thin and have proper drainage. In result, it will prevent mucus development.
- One of the best natural treatment for sinus headache are peppermint and eucalyptus oils. Steam therapy is a good relief. Just add drops of these oils to the steam before you inhale it. This is for faster relief and prevents congestion.
- Use nasal irrigation using a neti pot. You just put in the pot the following: water, salt and saline solution. Pour the mixture in your nostril through the stout of the pot. Allow the solution to remove the mucus buildup. This will relieve pressure and congestion. In result, you will be relieved from sinus headache. However, using this method needs expertise. It is highly recommended that you seek help from someone who can assist you with this nasal irrigation method.
- Have an active life. It’s a no-no to just sit and stay inside your room. You need to exercise for at least 30 minutes to alleviate sinus pressure and congestion.
Another way of alleviating your sinus headache is using over-the-counter medications that do not need prescription from your doctor. Over the counter decongestants is a temporary sinus headache relief that can alleviate your pain because of the headache.
You can try any of the sinus headache relief mentioned above especially if you have mild cases of sinus headache. However, you need to keep in mind that it is still best to consult a medical practitioner for severe cases of sinus headache and in order to get the right diagnosis. Keep in mind that there are similar symptoms of sinus headache and migraine that you might interchange. You need to keenly observe the different symptoms and signs before you do any kind of sinus headache relief. You do not want to waste your time doing different kinds of treatment and sinus headache relief for the wrong ailment that are ineffective.