If you are in search of the best chronic sinusitis treatment, then you have to first gather information about this type of health condition. Gaining information about chronic sinusitis will help you find a treatment which perfectly suits your specific case. Read this article to learn more about chronic sinusitis including its major causes, symptoms and possible treatments.
What is Chronic Sinusitis?
Sinusitis refers to a health condition characterized by inflamed paranasal sinuses caused by allergy, infection or autoimmune diseases. The most common cases of this condition are primarily caused by viral infections and treated within ten days. Sinusitis is one of the most common health conditions in the US. In fact, surveys state that over twenty-four million people in the US deal with this condition annually.
While there are mild cases of sinusitis that are curable within ten days, there are also chronic cases that last more than three months. You have to look for the best chronic sinusitis treatment if your doctor tells you that your case is already chronic. Chronic sinusitis actually takes place when one or more of your sinuses are persistently inflamed. This requires more medical attention to prevent it from getting worse. It should also be noted that this condition is divided into two cases. The first one is called chronic hyperplastic sinusitis and this case comes with polyps. This is often caused by allergy, some environmental factors including pollution or dust, fungus and bacterial infection. The second case of chronic sinusitis is called chronic rhinosinusitis which does not come with any polyps. This case refers to a multi-factorial inflammatory disorder and the chronic sinusitis treatment for this is more focused on controlling the inflammation which causes obstruction, thereby reducing or fully eliminating the risk of extreme infections. To determine if you are already dealing with chronic sinusitis, watch out for the following symptoms:
- Nasal congestion
- Thick green or yellow discharge
- Facial pain
- Dramatic increase in the controlled or minor asthma symptoms that you are currently dealing
- Night-time coughing
- General malaise
- Facial tightness or fullness especially when bending
- Aching teeth
- Reduced sense of smell
- Nasal blockage or obstruction
- Pus in your nasal cavity
- Excessive fatigue
Major Causes of Chronic Sinusitis
In order for you to find a chronic sinusitis treatment which will perfectly suit your case, you have to become aware of its major causes. You have to know exactly what causes you to deal with this condition as this will allow you to find the most suitable treatment. Here are some of the major causes of the condition:
- Cold or flu-like illnesses
- Dental infections
- Nose allergy or allergic rhinitis
- Nasal polyps
- Poor immune system
- Inflammatory disorders
- Cystic fibrosis
- Nose tumors
- Excessive smoking
- Nose or cheek injury
- Sniffing substances that have the tendency to irritate your nose lining such as cocaine
How to Find the Best Chronic Sinusitis Treatment?
After watching out for the signs of the condition and determining what causes you to deal with it, then it is time for you to find the best chronic sinusitis treatment. It is advisable for you to seek the advice of your doctor when it comes to this as this will help you find the safest and the most effective treatment which will work perfectly for your case. It should also be noted that the best treatment for chronic sinusitis is that which works effectively in reducing the swelling, draining your sinuses, eradicating the infection and in keeping your sinuses open. When treating chronic sinusitis, be aware that you have numerous options. Some of the most effective medical treatments that may work for you are the following:
- Antibiotics : This chronic sinusitis treatment is suitable for you if your doctor tells you that the cause of your condition is bacterial infection. You will have to take antibiotic for a longer term if your case is chronic but you have to keep in mind that this treatment will only work if your case is triggered by bacterial infections. You cannot expect antibiotics to become effective for sinusitis triggered by other viruses and factors.
- Decongestants : You can buy over-the-counter decongestants as you can expect these to work in significantly reducing the mucus found in your sinuses. Decongestants actually come in the form of nasal sprays and pills. If you decide to buy nasal spray decongestants, then you should remember that taking these for over three days may actually trigger an increase in your congestion. You should also avoid taking pill decongestants for over one week.
- Nebulized Antibiotic : This is a good choice for you if you are looking for a topical chronic sinusitis treatment. This treatment requires you to breathe the nebulized antibiotic so it can go directly into the main source of your health condition. You can expect this to work for 2-3 weeks.
- Inhaled Steroids : This may be prescribed by your doctor to reduce the swelling in the membranes of your sinuses. You may also try oral steroids especially for tough chronic sinusitis cases.
- Surgery : This chronic sinusitis treatment is your best choice if your condition is caused by a physical blockage such as polyps. You should look for a reliable surgeon who is capable of expertly removing the blockage and in enlarging the passages in your sinuses to allow easier drainage. You can expect the surgical procedure to last for 1-3 hours and it would take a few weeks for you to fully recover.
In your search for the best chronic sinusitis treatment, you should keep in mind that aside from the medical treatments, there are also effective remedies that you can try at home. These include starting to use a humidifier, breathing steam vapors, applying warm heat, nasal saline solution, drinking substantial amount of water, getting adequate rest and preventing yourself from overusing over the counter medicines.