More and more people are suffering from sinus headache. If your sinus headache is recurring or you have been suffering from it within a year already, you need to look for permanent sinus headache remedies.
Before you do any of the sinus headache remedies, you need to know first information about sinus headache. This article will give you necessary information about sinuses, sinus headache facts and sinus headache remedies.
Facts about Sinuses
Sinuses are space cavities within your bones that assist in secreting mucus and humidifying air in order to filter air. Sinuses are also essential to strengthen the skull and to be able to cope with trauma. Once you have inflamed sinuses, your ability to drain mucus will decrease and you have increased pressure within your sinuses that will lead to sinus headache.
Facts about Sinus Headache
Sinus headache occurs once your sinuses are inflamed which means its ability to drain will decrease and there will be pressure build ups inside the sinus that has blockage. It can also be associated with inflammation and swelling of the lining of your sinuses which will result to fluid secretion and increased mucus. In result, this will cause you pain – sinus headache. Sinusitis is a term to illustrate inflammation of the sinusitis.
Causes of Sinus Headache
Sinusitis can occur because of viral infection like a cold. This is the basis of swelling in your nose, deteriorating ability of your sinuses to drain and allergic reaction like hay fever will start the progression of the inflammation. Just like any inflammation in your body, there will be intensified fluid production. In your sinuses, the reduction of your sinuses to draw off mucus and there is an increased fluid production of inflammatory fluid, it will combine pressure and pain which will give you sinus headache.
Diagnosis and Sinus Headache Remedies
Usually, your doctor will base his or her diagnosis on physical examination and history. Most of the time, x-rays and blood testing are not necessary in order to diagnose sinus headache.
Sinus headache remedies must directly decrease the inflammation within your sinus passages. This should allow draining the mucus formation and lessening the pressure that will cause your sinus headache.
There are different natural and home sinus headache remedies that are very effective for mild cases of sinus headache. Whichever you will choose from the list below will depend on your preferences. You can pick an herbal remedy, a home remedy, a homeopathic remedy or any specific remedy. You can achieve sinus headache relief through lessening the inflammation and swelling of your sinus air spaces and through making possible mucus drainage.
Natural sinus headache remedies are very effective. You can also handle and take care of your own treatment plan. This means you are not dependent on the doctor’s prescription. You will also be free from different and might be dangerous side effects of the different medications.
Sinus Headache Remedies: The Home Techniques
- For some people, acupressure is very helpful. On both side of your nose, there are pressure points that once pressed tenderly for a few minutes will definitely offer amazing relief. The other pressure points that you can work on are located on the ridge of the eyebrows that links with the bridge of your nose.
- Sometimes, all you have to do is lie down and take a rest. Taking a nap or having a good night sleep will work wonders.
- Softly massage your sinus cavities by using your fingertips.
- Submerge a clean washcloth in a hot water. Place the hot towel across your front face on the sinuses cavity area or on your forehead.
- Have a steam bath. Make sure to close the door of your bathroom when you turn the shower knob on hot level that you can stand under and tolerate it. Allow the hot water touch your face, the sinus cavity areas. You need to keep the door closed in order to let the steam build up inside the bathroom. It will help loosen the mucus and pressure.
- If you prefer a face sauna or portable humidifier, add peppermint or eucalyptus oil or leaves. You can buy these items from online stores that range from US$ 18-25.
- Eat spicy foods such as curry or hot pepper. Spicy foods are excellent decongestant. These foods contain Capsaicin, a chemical that free up your sinuses and works as a blood-vessel dilator.
Sinus Headache Remedies: The Herbal Techniques
- Eucalyptus and peppermint are two of the common herbal sinus headache remedies. These are very effective once you inhale these herbal remedies with steam. The blend of the decongestant attributes of the herbs and the warm steam can give you instant sinus headache relief. What you can do is bring water to boil. Add eucalyptus or peppermint leaves and then inhale it. You have an option to wrap your head with a towel in order to keep close the steam on your face. This will give more soothing relief.
- If you have difficulties in dealing with the smell of any herbs, you can just create a tent using a towel around your head. For five minutes, inhale the steam without any herbs. It could be very effective if you think the smell of the herbs are very strong for you.
- Another remedy you could use is ginger. It is an anti-inflammatory that can help relieve your pain. You just make a ginger paste and put it on your forehead. You can also take ginger capsule.
- A mixture of water and cinnamon in equal parts can be an effective relief once applied on the forehead.
- Another option is to prepare a paste from cloves and ground basil leaves combined small quantity of dried ginger.
Always remember that it is still best to consult your medical practitioner for proper diagnosis first and then for proper treatment. Take note as well that herbal sinus headache remedies may contradict with the medical prescriptions from your doctor which might lead to complications. Tell your doctor if you have implored any sinus headache remedies prior taking any medications.