Natural Remedies for Sinus Infection is one of the top solutions many people go for upon discovering the presence of sinus infection. Of course, prescription medicine such as antibiotics is still preferred by some. However, as in many cases of improper drug administration, too much or too little antibiotic intake can be dangerous. This is why natural remedies are better choice as a safe and effective way of getting rid of sinus infection for keeps.
What is a Sinus Infection?
Before enumerating the top effective natural sinus remedies, it is important that one knows the facts about this medical condition. How does it really develop? And how do you know that you have sinus infection?
Sinus infection is a common medical condition affecting about 18% of the population worldwide. Usually this infection kicks in after prior illnesses such as the flu or cold. Since the nasal cavities are rendered weak because of flu infection, it becomes vulnerable to attack of viruses causing mucous to thicken and clog the nasal cavities. People affected with sinus infection usually experiences difficulty in breathing, high fever, respiratory-related illnesses and frequent headaches.
It is also important to remember that even after the sinus infection is cured, people who’ve had it have higher risk of re-infecting themselves especially if their immune system remains to be weak. So it is really imperative that cold and flu are treated the soonest possible time to prevent sinus infection from setting in. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is also essential in boosting immune system to prevent not just sinus infection but other illnesses as well.
Common Natural Remedies for Sinus Infection
There are basically 2 types of natural remedy for sinus infection. One can be used as a direct treatment to sinus infection symptoms and other as preventive or post-illness remedies that can be used to reduce the chances of the infection from coming back. Some of the direct treatment mixtures are composed of natural herbs that are used in other countries in their traditional healing practices. Such remedies include:
- Steam tent. Use steam tent about 3-4 times a day. This natural method is very useful in treating nasal clogs to improve breathing. Simply boil one pot of water. Position your head just above the steam. Make sure to cover your head with a towel to manipulate the direction of steam to your mouth and nose. You can also add herbal oils such as eucalyptus or oregano oil which are ideal mixtures in treating clogged breathing.
- Use nasal irrigator. This teapot-like specialized item can be purchase in any herbal shops. Just like the function of steam tent, this item uses hot water to prompt the nasal cavities to open up. It is very useful in preventing mucous lining to develop and thicken around the nasal cavities.
- Cold Compress. Among the natural cure for sinus infection, this method is probably one of the most effective in reducing bouts of sinus headaches. Change cold compress at least 3 times every day depending on how extreme headaches attacks are.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This very common remedy has always been used not just in treating sinus infection but in many illnesses as well. Simply mix 3 table spoon of apple vinegar in 1 glass of warm water and drink this mixture daily to treat cold, cough and sinusitis.
- Lemon Balm. This remedy has always been known to contain elements useful in fighting off bacteria and viruses. Simply soak the dried lemon leaves on a hot water. Strain and extract the juice. Drink the lemon balm tea/juice regularly.
- Olive oil. Regular massage is also a great natural remedy to reduce symptoms of sinus infection. It is a great way to improve blood circulation and relax tensed muscles. Simply pour small amount of olive oil onto your palm and massage it directly on your forehead, nose and the surrounding facial areas. You can mix in few amounts of oregano oil for additional soothing effect.
- Saline sprays. This natural remedy can be purchase in any local health shop. Saline sprays are designed to remove nasal congestion and eliminate allergens from affecting the nasal cavity.
- Natural Nasal Sprays. Among the natural remedies for sinus infection, natural nasal spray is one of the most effective in providing quick and effective way of treating the infection. Nasal sprays can be purchase in local health shops. These items are effective in eliminating bacterial infections to completely remove all the symptoms of flu, cold and sinusitis. Nasal sprays also contain anti-histamine components to clear nasal cavities off allergens. It is also safe to use even for people who have sensitive skin or allergies.
Preventive natural cures for sinus infection
Knowing the early symptoms of sinus infection is essential in finding the most effective sinus infection natural remedy. Keep in mind that a cold lasting for 4-5 weeks will most likely develop into sinus infection especially if you are not being careful. Focus in improving your immune system by avoiding unhealthy diet and lifestyle. Practice regular exercise. If jogging everyday is not possible, replace it with everyday walk.
Taking dietary supplements are also helpful in improving the body’s defenses. Potassium supplement is a substance known to prevent mucous build up on the nasal cavity. Increasing fluid intake is also helpful in preventing mucous hardening which can later block your breathing. Avoid cold sodas and juices. Take as much water and clear beverages as you can to clear nasal lining off mucous build up.
Hot salted baths are also helpful in improving blood circulation. It is also helpful in soothing your body off stress build up. Once your body is relaxed and healthy, there is a lesser chance that you’ll get infected with common illnesses such as sinus infection.
Truly, dealing with sinus infection symptoms is difficult and uncomfortable. But why live with it if you can avoid it? Remember that sinusitis is curable and it is just a matter of finding the best natural remedies for sinusitis so you can finally say goodbye to sinusitis permanently.