Sinus problems are easily solved with surgery but it does not mean that the sinus problem will be resolved right away. The patient must still pass through sinus surgery recovery before he or she can claim that the surgery was successful. However, many people find it hard to live their lives normally during this period. Usually, discomfort and minimal pain are the problems that most people encounter. Although these things really do happen after any type of surgery, people would still want the full details about what happens during the recovery period so as to help them decide whether or not they can handle what is in stored for them after the sinus surgery.
How Long Does the Recovery Last?
This is probably the first question most sinus patients would want to ask. Fortunately, they won’t have to worry any more since sinus surgery recovery would only last for a few days. The maximum recovery period is around 15 days but this only applies for extreme sinus cases. If everything goes well, patients can expect to recover just after 3 days. The recovering speed depends on how patients handle their recovery. Some can recover much faster than the others especially when their body is able to adapt better or when the patients are able to fully follow the recovery instructions given to them.
What Problems Can Arise during the Recovery Period?
Bleeding may occur in the nasal region from time to time but the blood will only ooze out in small amounts. This can also be accompanied with some sinus headaches that are most of the time tolerable. Patients should also be prepared to deal with sinus congestions throughout the day and expect the congestions to last until they had already fully recovered from the surgery. The sense of smell will also be affected during the sinus surgery recovery period but it will not completely block off all the fragrances. The patients will still able to distinguish strong or odorous fragrances although they may encounter some problems in tracing light and fainted smells. It is also worth mentioning that the voice would also be temporarily affected with the surgery. This may become a major concern for those people who use their voice as their main asset in their jobs.
Patients should also prepare themselves from major complications that may need immediate medical attention. Infections may occur without the patient’s knowledge and this is why they should be able to visit their doctors regularly when recovering. Bleeding and leaks may also occur near the brain and eye area. However, people should not be alarmed with this since it only happens very rarely in sinus surgery recovery. Patients should not be concerned with this for as long as the surgery is done by a skilled and licensed surgeon.
How to Properly Deal with the Bleeding?
The bleeding may be messy at times but this can be solved by constantly changing the gauze dressing. Some experts may recommend their patients to change the dressing after every hour. Prior to this, patients should stock up on gauze pads beforehand so as not to have problems with this. Avoid taking in aspirin or anti-inflammatory medicines during the span of the sinus surgery recovery period unless they were advised by the doctors. Drugs like these can be the cause of blood clotting and they may even speed up or increase the blood flow in the nasal region. Always ask the doctor or the surgeon concerned before consuming any type of self-medicated drugs so as to avoid complications later on.
Sinus Surgery Recovery Tips
- When swelling occurs on the nose area, patients should try to place icepacks around the swollen areas. This can help in managing the size of the swollen skin and it can also bring comfort and relief. Always keep in mind to never directly place the icepack on the skin. Patients should wrap it first with a cloth or towel so as not to damage the skin. It is also recommended for patients to only use the icepack for only 15 minutes. They should first allow the skin to breathe for another 15 minutes before placing the icepack back again.
- During the sinus surgery recovery, patients should not engage themselves with heavy exercises. They should instead rest in bed during the first few days of the sinus surgery recovery period. Although patients are usually sent home a day after the surgery, they should not immediately return to their work. They should take some time off from their jobs since working while recovering can only bring problems.
- Patients should only eat a light diet during the sinus surgery recovery even when they are hungry. Vomiting and nausea may occur when patients eat too much. Hot liquids should also be avoided since it can bring pain. Vomiting normally occurs after the surgery but the patient may need medical attention when it still continues after a few days. Generally, the right diet can also speed up almost any type of recovery.
- Some doctors may give their patients some medications to help with the pain. However, some of these drugs may contain narcotics. Patients should never drive when they are given these types of medication. They should be accompanied with a relative or friend at all times.
- Since the nasal can become congested, some patients may just be tempted to blow their nose after the surgery. Doing this can promote heavy bleeding so it is always best for patients to avoid blowing their nose for at least 7 days. They should also try not to touch or move the nose every now and then.
Sinus surgery recovery is the last hurdle in solving a sinus problem. This period will not last long and this is why people should be patient about it. Rushing will never be advisable since it will not help the recovery. Patients should always follow what their doctors say in order to have a successful and faster recovery. Remember that a doctor knows best when it comes to these situations so allow them to help with the recovery